Monday, January 3, 2011

Winter Lettuce Fields

Over Christmas, I was in the Yuma area photographing lettuce fields. These photos were all technically taken in the south-easternmost corner of California, just north of Yuma. This is a big area for winter lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, and other greens, along with dates.

Mixed greens in the field
Mixed greens in the field
In this shoot, I was particularly focused on rows of mixed greens, all planted together. I actually had no idea that they grew the various varieties together, but watching the crews harvest the crops, it made complete sense.

The rows of alternating green and red lettuces are undeniably beautiful, and I could have spent several days just exploring the patterns that the alternating rows created.

Mixed greens in the field


Mixed greens in the field


Mixed greens in the field


Mixed greens in the field



I really enjoyed photographing these fields, and the farmer who owned them was about as enthusiastic about lettuce as you could possibly be. I have to admit, that - at least for these mixed greens - I shared his enthusiam.

No comments:

Post a Comment