Monday, December 17, 2012

Snow Geese

It's that wonderful time of year again when literally millions of ducks and geese make their way to the Sacramento Valley from Alaska and Canada via the Pacific Flyway.

I unexpectedly came upon this huge flock of snow geese serenely feeding in a rice field near Grimes, west of the Sacramento River. I estimate that about 6,000 birds are visible in this photo.
Snow geese feeding in a rice field (click to enlarge)
I stayed in my car and was able to get very close to the birds until something scared them and they suddenly took off with an enormous roar - thousands of birds at once. I had a few seconds to capture them before they had lifted into a great cloud.



They circled the rice field for 10 or 15 minutes before settling down once again to feed.


I hope to make a number of more trips into the valley this winter to capture the beauty of wildlife that make the valley their winter home.

No comments:

Post a Comment