Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Almond Bloom from the Air

Last weekend I finally got up for an aerial shoot of the almond bloom. Saturday was a cold but clear day, coming right after a storm and right before a big freeze.

Almond bloom from the air
Rows of almonds in bloom


I took over 1100 photos in a little over two and a half hours, so it was a very productive shoot, but I've barely had a chance since then to look over the photos I took. Here's the first part of the path of our flight (Google divided it into two parts):


View 2011-02-26 in a larger map

But despite that, I thought I should try to upload at least a few images from the shoot. These were all taken at the very end of the shoot, when we were flying in circles around one particularly beautiful orchard southwest of Durham.

Almond bloom from the air
Intersecting orchards


Almond bloom from the air
More almonds in bloom


Almond bloom from the air
Interesting "V"-shaped almond orchard south of Chico.


Almond bloom from the air
The last shot I took shows the setting sun turning the almond flowers bright pink!

I love the patterns that the rows of trees make, and I love images that show off those patterns in interesting ways. 

I'll lots more images from this shoot in the coming days (weeks?), so keep tuned. 

2 comments:

  1. You are trully a talented photographer and the pictures are simply amazing! Almonds blooming is one of my ultimate favorite scenes in the Central Valley each year. Thanks for doing such a great job capturing the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photo. I have trying to locate a good shot of the almonds after hearing about them on the radio. Yours are the best I have seen after a long search. Well done.

    ReplyDelete