Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Every Camera I Have Ever Owned: Part II

Konica Minolta A2 (2004-2005)

By the beginning of 2004, it was clear that digital cameras were the future, but they still had a long way to go before they either had sufficient resolution to replace my Mamiya 645 or were affordable.

Still, I decided to take the plunge and bought a great little 'prosumer' Konica Minolta A2, an 8 megapixel fixed zoom lens camera.

Konica Minolta A2
Konica Minolta A2 Kit  (up for sale on eBay)

This was a handy little camera, and was particularly great from macro photography. I used it a lot for wildflower photos and that's where it really excelled. However, it suffered from noise even at ISO 200, and was unusable at ISO 400 or above. 

I used it actively for almost two years and kept it around as a backup for a several more years.

California Poppy
California Poppy

Dogwood Blossom
Dogwood Blossom

Sundial Bridge
Sundial Bridge

Canon 20D (2005-2007)

By 2005, I realized that, simply from a workflow perspective, I needed to convert to digital full time. Prices were coming down and image quality had finally equaled, if not surpassed 35mm film.

But I had a dilemma. The major DLSR players of the time, as they are today, were Canon and Nikon. I was shooting Mamiya, and was miles above the petty Nikon vs. Canon wars. But it was inevitable that I was going to choose one of the two... and with cameras, once you choose a brand, you are pretty much making a lifetime commitment because you end up with a major investment in lenses that are not interchangeable between brands.

I had absolutely no bias going into the decision since I considered both brands as 'toys' compared to medium format. In the end, I chose to go with Canon, mostly because, at the time, Canon was trouncing Nikon on both image resolution and low noise performance.

I ended up buying an EOS 20D, which was a workhorse of a camera. At 8 megapixels, it wasn't quite the resolution I was looking for, but there was a huge price jump from it to the 16.7 megapixel IDs Mark II, which at the time retailed for about $8000.

Konica Minolta A2
Canon EOS 20D (for sale on eBay)

I shot with this camera for a couple of years before relegating it to backup body status. But by that time, I had accrued enough Canon glass to make switching to Nikon prohibitive, even if I had wanted to. I finally sold the 20D on eBay exactly a year ago.

Great Egret
Great Egret

The Delta King at Dusk
The Delta King at Dusk

Panorama of Rio Vista Bridge
Panorama of Rio Vista Bridge (one of the last images taken with my Canon 20D)

Canon 5D (2007-2009)

By 2007, it was clear that the 20D was insufficient for my business. Fortunately, the 12.8 megapixel Canon 5D had come down enough in price by then to make it a logical replacement. This camera was my main body longer than any other I've owned since I went pro, and there are more images in my image database taken with the 5D than any other camera.

Canon EOS 5D

This was a great camera to use; fast and flexible, and it produced images of stunning quality. I used it fro everything from landscapes to architectural work, and it always performed flawlessly. I finally parted with it last December.

Mt. Lassen from Manzanita Lake
Mt. Lassen from Manzanita Lake

Moon and the Theme Building at LAX
Moon and the Theme Building at LAX

Renaissance Tower, Sacramento
Renaissance Tower, Sacramento

Canon 5D Mark II (2009-)

By early last year, it was becoming clear that my 5D, though still producing wonderful images, was getting a bit long in the tooth with respect to certain features. In particular, I really needed a camera with automatic sensor cleaning, since the 5D full frame sensor attracted dust like a veritable magnet. The 21.1 megapixel 5D Mark II fit the bill for me perfectly, maintaining a full frame sensor, but upping the resolution dramatically and providing a larger LCD, sensor cleaning and a number of other features.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Yesterday marked the one year anniversary of my 5D Mark II, and it's served me pretty much flawlessly for the past year, providing truly stunning image quality.

Big Chico Creek in the Fall
Big Chico Creek in the Fall

Zucchini Walnut Goat Cheese Pizza
Walnut Zucchini Pizza

Sundial Bridge Abstract
Sundial Bridge Abstract

Canon 7D (2009-)

I'll be the first to admit that the 7D wasn't a necessary purchase. My old 5D was still producing great images, even though it had been relegated to backup body status.

But the 7D came with a number of new features, including a new (and as it turns out, occasionally problematic) autofocus system. So I sold the 5D and took the plunge on the 7D. And although there has been a bit of a learning curve on the new AF system, for the first time ever I actually have a 'backup' body that I actually use.

Canon 7D

And here's the reason: Because the 7D uses an APS (cropped) sensor, I get different results with lenses on it than I do with the 5D II. I've found that I pretty much keep my 100-400mm zoom attached to the 7D when I'm in the field and the 28-70mm when I'm in the studio. This gives me a wide range of focal lengths with two bodies immediately at hand. That's something I've never really done before, and the 7D makes  a logical way to work.

Pintail Duck
Pintail Duck

Cow Grazing Below Bully Choop Mountain
Cow Grazing Below Bully Choop Mountain

Cattle Grazing on hill near Newville
Cattle Grazing on hill near Newville


Canon 450D/XSi (2010-)

The Canon XSi is the newest member of my family of cameras, purchased only last month. But with a 5D Mark II and a 7D, what could I possibly need a 2 year old entry-level DSLR for?

As a way to diversify my work and my business, I recently purchased a 24 foot tall telescoping camera stand. In testing the new stand, I quickly realized that I wasn't terribly comfortable putting a $1700 camera with a $1000 lens on it on top of a swaying 24 foot tall pole. So, I bought the cheapest Canon DSLR that would allow me to control it remotely from the ground. I promise to do a post on this set up soon.

Canon EOS Rebel XSi

However, I've discovered that this is a neat little camera and actually produces fantastic images. Though I still use it primarily for pole shots, its nice to know that I have a capable body as an emergency backup.

Peach Orchards in Bloom
Peach Orchards in Bloom

Panorama of Almond Orchards and Fields
Panorama of Almond Orchards and Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment